Bad Karma

Friday, October 25, 2013

 Went to PMH today.

It was a good day and a bad sort of a day.

I was anxious about my visit because I had so many bad side effects to the new chemo. drug I’m was taking.  The latest has been about 3 days of crying…it feels like I’ve got onions stuck in my eyes…horrible. 

The line up at the blood lab this morning was horrendous.  I waited over an hour to do my bloodwork; ordered/paid for my Xgeva shot (for my bones), and went to see my oncologist for my scheduled appointment.  

 ‘Cept I didn’t see him.

I didn’t see the Dragon Lady either.

Today I saw a Mexican Doctor.  

He was nicer than the Dragon Lady and didn’t roll up his eyes every time I asked a question, so I was content.  I asked him what the plan was and he said, “Cut the Chemo. drug in half and see if the side effects lessen, double the heart medication to protect my heart, eyes drops for my watery/itchy eyes, and they will check my next spinal MRI after the 3rd round of chemo to see if the tumours in my back have stopped growing.  He is also sending me for an ultrasound on Monday…my lymph nodes are swollen under my arm where I had my surgery. 

I got a new prescription and sent BoBo to the pharmacy line-up to submit it while I got my shot in the stomach.  Didn’t hurt much…got enough fat over there 

I later went down to check to see if they filled it.  They said they didn’t get it and I had to get another number and wait in the order line again.  I got frustrated.  As I waited, I was surprised to see Bobo come around the corner.  I thought he went back to work.  He told me he went up to see Maria O’Kane and why hadn’t I gone to see her yet? I was going to after I got my meds which wasn’t ordered apparently.  He told me he handed in the prescription but it wouldn’t be ready until 12:00.  That gave me some time to see Maria.  I was suppose to meet with one of my former colleagues, James, for lunch and I didn’t want to be too late.

I went upstairs to see Maria.  She is on the 16th floor in the Palliative Care Ward again.  She is down to 90 pounds.  The doctors told her they can’t give her any more chemo. because she is so underweight, and if she eats, the cancer will thrive.  There is nothing they can do.

Today she was on oxygen because she said she was having difficulty breathing (tumours in her lung).  I felt so bad for her.  She said she wants to get away and go on vacation somewhere.  I don’t blame her one bit.  I am hoping that I will be able to take her to a day spa next week, but I’m not sure they will let me take her out of the hospital.  She is waiting for a spot at Kensington Hospice near PMH.  It looks like a really nice place and it’s run by volunteers who will make whatever food you want.

When I went down to get my meds again after I visited Maria, the lady at the order desk told me that they wouldn’t be ready until 2:00.  I decided to leave and see if my husband would mind picking them up after work.

I went to meet James and had a nicoise salad at a nice place near his gorgeous penthouse suite.  I loved his condo…beautiful view of the lake and so tastefully decorated.  And so close to the market where he can buy fresh food.  What a great location.  I always thought it would be nice to live near there.

At 2:20 I thought I’d better hurry and get home because the kids were going to come home at 3:00.  I parked my car on King Street (no stopping from 4:00-6:00 during rush hour).  

 I got in the car and try to start it.  Nothing.  “Oh sh*&%”, I thought.  I didn’t renew the CAA membership which came in the mail this week ‘cause I was running low on funds this month.  Please I hope my membership did not expire yet!  Lucky for me,  James had his cell phone and I called CAA (membership good until Nov. 30).  Whew!  They would come in about an hour.  “Time for that Belgium Waffle I wanted and didn’t have time for” I told James.  We went back in the restaurant and had a tea and shared a Belgium waffle with strawberries/apples and chantilly whipped cream.  Never had a light tasting waffle like that before.  It was absolutely divine.

Meanwhile, as we sat right next to the window, what do I see as I’m eating this scrumptious dessert?  A freaking cop.  “Sh*&(%” , I said as I go running out the restaurant door.  He turns around and faces me…. waiting for a confrontation, since he had just finished putting a yellow parking violation ticket on a blue cars window.  “Not my car” I yell.  “The one in front is mine…but I have a problem; it won’t start.”  He went to the windshield of my car and saw the Handicapped Parking Permit.  I figured he was going to question me since I look so good so I said…Cancer.

He said, “I’m sorry”.  I said, “That’s okay…my car is dead, but I’m not”.  He laughed at me.  

I asked him what do I do at 4:00 when it’s rush hour if I can’t get my car out of here…. CAA was on their way.  He told me to just put up the hood of my car and don’t worry about it, and have a good day.

First meter maid cop I actually liked.  Back to my dessert.

CAA came shortly thereafter.  My car started as soon as he started fiddling around with the battery.  He looked at me like I was wasting his time.  “I swear it was dead when I tried starting it”, I told him.  “Well, it’s working fine now”, he answered.  “But it wasn’t before”, I told him.  He told me to put on my headlights and my car went dead.  “Ha!”, I thought, “See I’m not that crazy”.  He checked the battery which was fine, so he said it was probably the alternator.  Couldn’t guarantee I’d get home and did I want a tow.  “Yes”, I told him.  Darn good thing I got the Premium Plus Service when I went on vacation this summer (because they will tow you up to 200 km).  The guy hitched up my car; I said so long to James, and off I went with Amin from Afghanistan in the tow truck.  

I didn’t get it towed to Honda, however, since I’m sure I have been blacklisted because I got the Better Business Bureau after them.  Bad Karma.

Amin took me home first, and then he took my car to my mechanic far, far away, in Markham.  I’m told the wiring from my battery to the alternator has corroded.

When I got home the construction guys were having a panic attack because they just laid down the concrete sidewalk in front of my home and it was raining pretty hard.  They ran to put a big tarmac overtop.  It was fun watching them.  Hope my sidewalk looks good tomorrow.  The MPP lives around the corner, if it doesn’t.

I was disappointed to see that the construction workers wreaked my tree in the front yard, …probably with their big, fat cement truck.  There are a couple of hanging broken branches.  I really like my tree and don’t like to see it hurt.  I think they wreaked the foundation of my house too because as I was trying to sleep in the other morning I heard some really loud thumps as they were destroying the old sidewalk, and my bed was bouncing around the room, with me in it.  The windows were rattling too.  

When I went outside, I saw cracks on the side of my house where my father decided to cement it, instead of painting it WHITE like I ASKED HIM TOO.  He phoned me the other night and told me that my uncle said I shouldn’t paint it white…I should just leave it the cement colour.  Do you believe that?  Whose house is it anyway?  Really?  Don’t even ask me how pissed I am about this new development.  I am now going to have to hire a stucco/painter to redo the side of my house because it looks like crap.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my father, but sometimes he drives me to drink.  It kind of reminds me of the time I just bought my house and after I went to play recreation volleyball, I came home to see all of my 9 pointy trees got their heads chopped off because my father decided that it was better that way.  I sat in my backyard and cried amongst the heads of the trees.  I can not tell you how much money I spend replacing each one of those trees, but I can tell you that 3 of them on the north side of my backyard cost me at least $1,000.  My father’s blunders are expensive and I don’t like it!  Wonder how much the side of my house is going to cost me.  And I may even have to wait till the spring, when it gets warmer.  I hate that grey cement colour and now it’s going to haunt me all winter!  And it rubs off like chalk when I touch it.  Enough of that.

Anyhow, it’s almost 1:00 a.m. and I should be going to bed soon.  I started tallying all my expenditures this week…$270 chocolate bars (don’t even ask), $350 children’s dentist, $50 school photos, $1600 medicine, whatever the car is going to cost me and a couple of other things.  “You’d better pay for CAA”, my husband said.  “Yeah, yeah”, I told him”…and I think I will need to take a look at getting a cell phone real soon too”.  “Could things get any worse?” I asked him.  “Yes”, he said.  And I was walking down the hallway, I said “Sh#**&5”  again.  I felt a bubble under my tongue. “It can’t be, I thought.  “Not now”.  But it was, atlas, another crappy side effect of the chemo drug.  Mouth sores.  How is this possible?  I haven’t taken the drugs in over what, ten days.  Why now?  The nurse did tell me to brush my mouth with baking soda.  Now I know why.  I found my organic baking soda without aluminum in it (did you know it contained that?).  The mouth sore shrank as quickly as it appeared, thank heavens.  I hope tomorrow is a better day.



I think I need to get to bed.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s